Sunday, June 7, 2009

Hong Kong & I

So…. I’ve been here in Hong Kong for about 8 month now. And it’s been a complete eye opener. I live in the New Territories (NT for short), one of the three main regions of Hong Kong. The other two are Hong Kong Island, and Kowloon peninsula. I’m literally 10 minutes away from the China border on train. Hong Kong is divided in a similar fashion as NYC. The main Borough (Hong Kong Island) is where all the big business is, and then the other boroughs for support. NT and Kowloon is where majority of the low and mid income families live. Overall the population of HK is roughly about 7 million people. It’s little bit smaller then New York. But it's a really tight squeeze. Everyone is stacked up like sausages. The average apt is about 300- 500 sg ft. it’s really small. That’s the average size of a bedroom back home, in an average size home. Exaggerating a little but it quite close. I live in the mountains with 2 of my coworkers who are from Korea. Totally different lifestyle and experience. I had to fight with them both before we decided to get some couches. According to them it’s not a common thing in Korea to have a couch or comforter. The first couple of weeks living with them I had to sit on the floor and cross my legs to eat. In every single home in Hong Kong you must remove your shoes before you enter anyone home. Usually people have a few pairs of slippers in there home for visitors. It's done in America but not as stressed.

-First Junk Boat party. Oct 28th 08 A junk is a Chinese sailing boat. It’s a common source of entertainment.
-Vtech, Christmas away from home. Dec 17 08 This was my friend Christmas away from home. At my job we decided to play secret Santa and I got a burger phone….. lame

-Gallery hopping with Alex , Jesse, and Austin, fellow scad graduates.
will post more soon.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I want that burger phone!

denise - SUPERWOWOMG said...

HIIIIIIIIIII ISHMAEL. it's denise. HONG KONG'S NOT SO BAD. yes i suppose you never grew up with the whole taking off your shoes when you get home but trust me you'll be sooooooo much happier when you realise your floor is sooOoOOOOooooOoOoO clean. ask mo. his floor is sooooooooooo clean now lol. i've taught him well. haha. and yeh houses can be really cramped ): especially if you're living so far away! and LULZ about you having to convince your roommates to get a sofa ): my bestfriend is korean and she has a sofa but everytime i go over to her place her parents are chilling on a mat on the floor watching tv haha and we used to sit on the floor and eat meals on this miniature table. so funny. anyways hopefully i'll get to meet you soon! Mo's told me quite a bit about you so it should be fun!!!!!!!! oh and I'll tell you about hk and all the cool places and fun things and hopefully that'll convince you and mo that HK is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than NY :D (minus pizza)

hayliebird said...

ish! that is amazing. i love the junk party, we should have junk parties in the states. also, your burger phone is amazing & i hope you are using it. please post more. are you still coming home this summer? i'm living in brooklyn now with em and paul and i hear cory might be moving here toward the end of the summer. i love it here so much more than philly. i'm gonna be lookin for a job next week- wish me luck!
take care.
xoxo